Mastiffweb is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Like humans, dogs also require a well-balanced diet with different vitamins and minerals. Each nutrient is important to carry out some important function(s) in your pup’s body, so any deficiency may result in your dog getting sick, lethargic, and undergoing the process of early aging.
Unfortunately, the multivitamins that are found in your dog’s food may not be enough for the proper growth and development of your best friend. For this reason, you need a special dog supplement that contains all the vital vitamins that your pup needs to enjoy a long and healthy life.
Your dog may need to take a good multivitamin supplement in the following cases:
- If your dog is given homemade food, you may need to supplement the diet with multivitamins to make sure the nutritional value of the food is not compromised. No doubt homemade food is safer in terms of preservatives as compared to the processed dog food available in the market, however, not every dog food recipe can cover the entire range of vitamins and minerals needed for the development of your pup’s body.
- Your dog may be diagnosed with the deficiency of certain vitamins, and to make sure his/ her daily intake of vitamins matches the recommended multivitamin, you need to give him/ her a good dog multivitamin supplement.
- If your pup is too young, too weak, or getting quite old, you may have to give him a daily dosage of multivitamin supplements to help his body grow strong.
- If your dog is a picky eater or prefers food that is not as rich in vitamins as they need to, you will have to add a good multivitamin supplement in his daily routine. However, note that a good multivitamin supplement only compliments the actual food, and in no way replaces your dog’s proper timely meal.
Best 5 Picks
Your four-legged friend needs a healthy diet, exercise, and your love to enjoy life to its fullest. Nevertheless, dogs often need one more thing: a good multivitamin supplement to make sure they are growing, developing, and aging healthily. Here are the 5 best multivitamin supplements we recommend for your best friend:
Zesty Paws Multivitamin for Dogs
No matter what your dog’s age, size, and breed may be, the Zesty Paws Multivitamin 5 in 1 Chew for Dogs is perfect to give the boost of vitamins your pup needs. This delicious chewable supplement is available in two varieties: peanut butter flavor and the chicken flavor.
The Zesty Paws Multivitamin 5 in 1 Chew for Dogs cater to the five most important aspects of your pup’s well-being:
- For a healthy coat and skin, it protects your dog’s skin from itching and flaking and provides a shiny coat to your dog.
- For complete mobility and flexibility of muscles, hips, and joints.
- For a smoother digestive tract and overall digestive function, so that the food that goes in, comes out smoothly!
- Builds up your dog’s immune system.
- Protects the overall cardiovascular functionality.
With 90 soft chews in one container, each chew provides your furry friend with 200 mg of Glucosamine, 100 mg of Cod Liver Oil, 75 mg of Chondroitin Sulfate, 90 mg of enzyme blend with a microbe count of 500 million CFU, and 10 mg of Coenzyme Q10 along with many other important vitamins and minerals. The Biotin, Cod Liver Fish Oil, Omega 3 Fatty Acids along with Vitamin E oil nourishes your pup’s dry, flaky, and itchy skin. The perfect balance of vitamins and Q10 gives it an antioxidant factor which is great for keeping your pup’s heart strong and his/ her immunity system on track.
The Zesty Paws 5 in 1 multivitamin have over 35 important ingredients that ensure your pup’s healthy life. These highly nutritive multivitamins have a soft and chewy texture. They are made in the US in a cGMP facility with no wheat, corn, soy, preservatives or artificial flavors.
You have to give your dog 1 soft chew of the Zesty Paws 5-in-1 Multivitamin if he/ she is up to 25 pounds; 2 chews when your dog is between 26 – 75 pounds; and 3 chews when the dog’s weight is over 76 pounds.
- The chicken and peanut butter flavors make these chewable snacks delicious for pups of all ages, sizes, and breeds.
- The 5-in-1 formula ensures that you do not need to give your dog different supplements for his/ her overall health: joints, digestive health, heart, skin, and immunity level. It retains the natural shine of your dog’s coat and is effective for keeping skin issues like itchiness and redness at bay. The Zesty Paws Multivitamin 5 in 1 Chew for Dogs covers all these features in a single soft chewable tablet. How cool is that!
- It contains digestive enzymes and Niacin.
- It contains Palm Oil which may not suit some dogs, causing them allergy.
NaturVet All-in-One Support for Dogs
NaturVet is one of the most reliable brands when it comes to your dog’s health and its All-in-One Support for Dogs contains the perfect proportion of Glucosamine, MSM, and Chondroitin that could benefit any dog. The NaturVet All-in-One multivitamins are recommended for pups over 12 weeks old, and these chews especially benefit dogs that have arthritis, hip dysplasia, pain, and other joint issues.
The supplement is made in the US and comes in two packs – the 60 and the 120 count soft chews. Each soft chew contains Linolenic Acid (Omega-6), Vitamin E, Thiamine (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12, Choline, Glucosamine, Chondroitin Sulfate, Oleic Acid (Omega-9), and many other important nutrients.
It addresses four important aspects of your dog’s well-being:
- Healthy digestion and digestive tract
- Skin conditions
- Bone-joint health including joint pain and stiffness
- Overall health
You can give 2 chewable tables of NaturVet All-in-One multivitamins if your dog is up to 30 pounds. The dogs who are between 30 – 50 pounds can have 4 chews, the ones between 51 – 75 pounds can take 6 chews, and if your dog is over 76 pounds, he/ she can take up to 8 chewable tablets. This multivitamin supplement is recommended by vets and follows all the FDA and cGMP rules.
- 4 in 1 supplement for your pup’s overall health.
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin help in mobility and great bone-joint support.
- Makes your dog’s coat healthy and shiny.
- The wheat-free formula that is recommended by vets.
- FDA-approved soft chewable; available in clear snap cap that seals in freshness.
- No cons reported yet.
ProSense Multivitamin for All Life Stages
An excellent supplement, ProSense Multivitamin for All Life Stages, promises to deliver what its name offers: a chewable multivitamin for all ages of dogs. It is ideal for daily use and guarantees to give your dog protection against health issues and early aging.
Each chewable tablet is wag-worthy delicious and has brewer’s yeast which makes it easy to give to your dog as a treat. The Vitamin E keeps your four-legged companion’s immunity system healthy, Vitamin B gives your pup a boost of energy, whereas Vitamin C is responsible for fighting the harmful free radicals that threaten your dog’s health. This makes the ProSense Multivitamin for All Life Stages ideal for all breeds as it is proven safe and effective by the National Animal Supplement Council Quality Seal.
The supplement is formulated using beneficial antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. The ProSense Multivitamin for All Life Stages contains Brewer’s Dried Yeast, Dicalcium Phosphate, Lactose, Defatted Wheat Germ Meal, Stearic Acid, Flax Seed, Salt, Silicon Dioxide, Glycerin, Ascorbic Acid, Niacinamide, Ferrous Carbonate, Magnesium Stearate, Vitamin E, Dried Milk (both nonfat as well as skimmed), Dried Whey, Calcium Ascorbate, Zinc Oxide, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Acetate, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Maltodextrin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, and Sodium Thiosulfate.
You can give your pup from a half to 2 full tables depending upon his/ her weight. If your dog is between 10 – 50 pounds, one tablet of ProSense Multivitamin for All Life Stages every day is great for keeping him/ her loaded with the essential nutrients and vitamins. For a pup less than 10 pounds, ½ chewable table will be ample, and if he/ she is above 50 pounds, 2 tablets are recommended. The multivitamin supplement is made in the US and has 90 chewable tablets in each pack.
- Works well for the overall health of all ages of dog – puppies, adults, and seniors.
- One of the best multivitamins available in the market in terms of nutritive value as it gives your dog a perfect combination of antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins.
- Chewable tablets for daily use.
- It gives you good value for money.
- Some people find the smell of the multivitamin tablets overbearing. Your dog will not mind it, but if you have a sensitive nose you may find the smell quite unpleasant.
Nutri-Vet Multivitamin Chewable for Dogs
The Nutri-Vet Multivitamin (Multi-Vite) Chewable for Dogs is ideal for small, medium, and large breeds that are from 1 to 7 years old. It complements your dog’s diet by providing a complete range of vitamins and minerals, and hence giving your pet the health, he/ she truly deserves. Their delicious liver flavor makes it look like a treat when giving it to your dog.
The antioxidants found in these Multi-Vite chewable tablets fight against the free radicals that can cause tissue damage and premature aging in your pooch. It contains a wide range of ingredients that provide essential nutrients to your dog, such as Vitamin D3 Supplement, Potassium Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sucrose, Cellulose, Ascorbic Acid, Liver Powder, Vitamin A Acetate, Zinc Oxide, Stearic Acid, Natural Flavor, Safflower Oil Powder, Magnesium Stearate, Silicon Dioxide, Niacinamide, Magnesium Oxide, Ferrous Fumarate, Potassium Iodide, Soy Protein, dl-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate Monohydrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, and Vitamin B12 Supplement.
The Nutri-Vet Multivitamin (Multi-Vite) Chewable tablets keep your dog’s overall skin as well as mucous membranes infection-free. The Vitamin E found in these chews helps in the proper functionality of your dog’s cardiovascular as well as circulatory systems. Each tablet contains an appropriate dosage of Vitamin C that supports your pup’s cognitive function, vision, and immunity. Vitamin B3 (Niacin) is important for your pup’s nervous system, and it helps the body in releasing energy obtained from proteins, carbs, and fats that are in your dog’s diet. Therefore, the Nutri-Vet Multi-Vite Chewable tablets complement your dog’s daily meals and provide all the goodness your best friend needs to have a long healthy life.
For feeding instructions, one tablet is recommended for every 20 pounds of body weight. You can give these multivitamin tablets daily to your dog to give him overall health protection and avoid early aging. The Nutri-Vet Multivitamin Chewable for Dogs comes in packs having 60, 120, and 180 counts making it convenient to choose from. The multivitamin supplement should be always stored in a cool dry place, ideally below 86 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Good for bones and joints, vision, heart, and immune system.
- It helps in improving digestion.
- Excellent for your dog’s brain and nervous system.
- Provides good and healthy skin and coat to your dog.
- The chewable tablets are relatively harder than many other supplements.
PetHonesty 10 For 1 Dog Multivitamin with Glucosamine
Every pet parent wants to give their dog the best health and life possible, so if your vet asks you to go for a good multivitamin or you give your dog homecooked meal and want to rightly complement it with essential nutrients, the PetHonesty 10 for 1 Multivitamin Chews with Glucosamine is probably the best decision you can take. It gives your dog well-rounded health benefits by providing vitamins, minerals, probiotics, omegas and especially Glucosamine.
As the name indicates, PetHonesty’s 10 for 1 Dog Multivitamin effectively looks after the following aspects of your dog’s health:
- Boosts your furry friend’s energy level – which means no more unnecessary lethargy.
- Regulates digestive enzymes that ensure that dog meals are easily digested and passed.
- Improves the skin and gives shine to his/ her coat.
- Strengthens the immunity system so your dog falls sick less.
- It enhances mobility and keeps those precious joints, bones, and muscles strong.
The PetHonesty 10 For 1 Dog Multivitamin with Glucosamine has a delicious chicken flavor that your pet will think of as a treat. Each soft chew contains the right ratio of important goodness such as Glucosamine, MSM, Vitamin C, Omegas, Vitamin A, Palm Fruit Oil, Oat Flour, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Flaxseed, Natural Chicken Flavoring, Apple Pomace, Sunflower Lecithin, Coconut Glycerin, Powdered Cellulose, Sorbic Acid, Rosemary Extract, and Mixed Tocopherols, etc.
If your dog is 25 pounds or less in weight, one soft chew daily is ample to keep him/ her fit and active. Give 2 chews every day if your dog is between 26 – 75 pounds. For dogs above 75 pounds of weight, 3 chews are recommended. The PetHonesty 10 For 1 Dog Multivitamin is made in FDA-registered and GMP certified facility in the US. All its ingredients come from natural sources and the multivitamin supplement is free of GMOs, corn, wheat, soy, and preservatives.
- Delicious tasting chicken-flavored snack.
- Excellent for the overall health of your dog providing him/ her with the goodness of 20 minerals, vitamins, and nutrients.
- Ideal for your pup’s digestive health, it contains 1 billion Colony Forming Units (CFUs) of probiotics and pumpkin to help with all kinds of stomach issues including constipation, diarrhea as well as gas.
- The Omega fatty acids along with Glucosamine help in your dog’s mobility and joint flexibility by reducing pain, stiffness, and inflammation.
- Some dogs do not respond well to the oil present in it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How many multivitamins should I give my dog?
It is best to give your dog a daily multivitamin supplement along with giving him/ her daily routine meals. Never replace a meal with a multivitamin supplement.
The exact dosage of your multivitamins depends upon your dog’s age and weight. Some multivitamins are suitable for pups who are older than 12 weeks, some can be given once your furry friend is a year old, while some can be given to young puppies. To have a better idea of how many multivitamins you should give to your dog, check your dog’s weight and then follow the information below:
- Zesty Paws 5-in-1 Multivitamin for Dogs: 1 chew when your pup is up to 25 pounds; 2 chews when your pup is between 26 – 75 pounds; 3 chews when weight is over 76 pounds.
- NaturVet All-in-One multivitamins Support for Dogs: 2 chews if your dog is up to 30 pounds; 4 chews when your dog is between 30 – 50 pounds; 6 chews when the weight is between 51 – 75 pounds; 8 chews if your dog is over 76 pounds
- ProSense Multivitamin for All Life Stages: ½ chew for a pup who is less than 10 pounds; 1 chew if your dog is between 10 – 50 pounds; 2 chews if your dog is above 50 pounds.
- PetHonesty 10 For 1 Dog Multivitamin with Glucosamine: 1 chew if your dog is 25 pounds or less in weight; 2 chews if your dog is between 26 – 75 pounds; 3 chews for dogs above 75 pounds of weight.
- Nutri-Vet Multivitamin (Multi-Vite) Chewable for Dogs: 1 chew is recommended for every 20 pounds of your dog’s body weight.
Although we recommend the above 5 best multivitamin supplements for your precious dog, make sure you check the label if you plan on giving any other supplement.
What benefits do multivitamins have on a dog?
Multivitamins are as beneficial for dogs as they are for humans. They protect your dog from various diseases and early signs of aging. They also make sure that your dog enjoys overall good health including that of skin, coat, joints, brain, heart, digestion, and immune system. Although some breeds are prone to certain health issues and there is no guarantee that your dog will not get any disease if he takes a good multivitamin daily, yet, prevention is better than cure and these supplements do carry a loaded balance of essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
A good multivitamin supplement has numerous benefits and when taken regularly, provides the following functions:
- Vitamin A provides your dog with a good vision. It is also responsible for protecting your dog’s immune system as well as the process of fetal development.
- Vitamin B is an important group of vitamins that perform different functions. Vitamin B6 generates glucose and regulates hormones. It also takes care of the red blood cells (RBCs) as well as the nervous system. Vitamin B6 is also required to boost immune response, niacin synthesis as well as gene activation functions. The Vitamin B12 along with Riboflavin and Niacin helps in facilitating your dog’s enzyme functions. Thiamine regulates energy in your pup’s body, activates ion channels in his/ her nervous system as well as helps in the metabolization of carbohydrates. In addition to all this, Folic Acid plays a vital role in the synthesis of mitochondrial protein, as well as the metabolization of amino acids and nucleotide. The Pantothenic Acid assists in regulating energy in your body.
- Vitamin C plays a vital role in fighting against the harmful free radicals in your pup’s body, helping in reducing cognitive aging as well as body inflammation.
- Vitamin D is the sunshine vitamin that creates an important balance between essential minerals so that your dog has healthy bones, joints, and muscles.
- Vitamin E fights against the degeneration of muscles as well as eyes. It is also important for your dog’s reproductive health and protects the precious body against damages caused by oxidative elements.
- Vitamin K is important in activating your pup’s ability to clot the blood to prevent hemorrhaging and death.
Choline plays an important role in keeping your furry friend’s brain and liver healthy. It can also be used to treat epilepsy in dogs.
One chewable tablet (or more depending upon the weight of your dog) is enough to complement his/ her daily meals and provide a broad array of health benefits that his/ her food may miss out on. A good multivitamin supplement provides your four-legged companion all the needed nutrients (vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, etc.) that his/ her body needs to function, grow, develop, and enjoy a long happy tail-wagging life with you. So what multivitamin supplement are you going to give your furry companion?